Wednesday 20 June 2012

You Can't Reason With Greed and Corruption


Being a social critic in Nigeria Is hard work. On the up side, one never runs out of material, nothing like writer’s block for the critic in this country.
Today I will tell you about how I spent my Saturday and you can decide if my opening statements are true or false.
On Thursday (14/06/2012) I got home from work and found out there was a power outage (nothing new about that), so I promptly switched on my alternative source of power. Sometime around midnight a loud alarm woke me up; this alarm signified that power had been restored by the unfortunately named ‘Power Holding Company of Nigeria’. Apparently people have resorted to these alarmingly loud ‘alarms’ so that they can wake up and switch off their generating sets when power is restored in the middle of the night.  Anyway I was still in darkness despite the information conveyed by my neighbour’s alarm; I went to check if I had switched my power source from generator to ‘NEPA’ and I had. So why was I in darkness then? I couldn’t have run out of electricity credit because I had recently recharged my prepaid meter.  I was in this state of confusion till the next day and PHCN had chosen this precise period to supply regular electricity thereby rubbing salt into my wounds!
To cut a long story short, I waited till Saturday to investigate the mysterious outage and guess what? I had been disconnected from the main power supply to my close. Now the only reason for a disconnection is an unpaid bill and as I no longer have a post paid meter, it is impossible for me to owe electricity bills. Foolishly, I thought that there must have been some mistake so I took off to the PHCN undertaking (I wonder why their offices are called ‘undertakings’) in the area and lodged a complaint. I was expecting a shamefaced apology at the very least for this high level of incompetent customer service. Well let’s just say things don’t work that way in Nigeria. The person in charge of disconnections (curiously designated as the marketing officer) boldly announced to me that he was aware of the disconnection and the fact that I was not owing a dime. So why was I disconnected? Alas I was guilty by association: my neighbour was allegedly in arrears of N150, 000 (that’s about two year’s worth of electricity bills unpaid yet they’ve been enjoying the same supply of electricity as everyone else  for as long as I can remember but that’s a story for another day).  By this time, the only thought that kept crossing my mind was “I am living in a crazy country”. Since I had been given an unreasonable explanation for my disconnection, I decided to cancel it out with my own reasonable demand – “please come and reconnect my electricity”.  Unfortunately reasonableness doesn’t always beget reason so I got a more unreasonable solution – “Madam go and separate your wires from your neighbours” For a split second, I imagined myself on a ladder with electrical wire all around me trying to “separate my wire from the neighbours” You see what being around unreasonable people does to you? You begin to think unreasonable thoughts too! By this time I felt like screaming but since I was the reasonable party in this discussion, I had to keep my cool.
Anyway, I brought myself down to earth and asked the next reasonable question – “so who will undertake this erm…separation?” The marketing officer nodded at me like a teacher who has finally been able to get through to a particularly dim student. He then beckons to two young men who had been hovering about like vultures waiting for the final death throes of their prey.  The young men were supposedly electricians who were going to ‘help’ me sort out my rather ‘difficult’ situation. They eagerly got into my car and followed me home ostensibly to go and assess the amount of work required. Then they started their assessment and I noticed that they were looking a bit disturbed so the following conversation ensued (I am going to name them ‘Good cop’ and ‘Bad cop’ because they acted out the good cop/bad cop routine with me):

Good Cop:         Madam, we are going to sort this thing out today
Bad Cop:         (interjecting) But it won’t be easy o, it’s not going to be easy at all (he shakes his head regretfully)
Good Cop:          As long as madam will give us money to buy the wire, no problem
Bad Cop:              Remember we have to rent a ladder too
Good Cop:           Madam don’t worry, we will make sure that we conclude today
Me (madam):       So how much wire do you need?
Bad Cop:              A lot o! Can’t you see that we have to go through about 4 houses before we    get to you?
Me:                        So how much will this cost?
Bad Cop:              N5000 for labour
Me:                        No I can’t pay that, after all I do not owe any money (still trying to appeal to reason)
Bad Cop:              Madam, that is not my problem, I’m just trying to help you. This is private work not ‘NEPA’ work.
Good Cop:          (addresses his colleague in Yoruba in an ‘appealing’ tone) let’s just manage N3000
Bad Cop:              Ok Madam, we’ll accept N3000 but you have to pay N7000 for two bundles of wire
Me:                        (Spluttering with outrage) you expect me to cough up 10,000 to reconnect my electricity when it should not have been disconnected in the first instance?!!
Good Cop:          Madam we are only trying to ‘help’ you o
Bad Cop:              Let’s go jare, I don’t have time, I have work to do.

So that was that, no electricity for me yet. I couldn’t help marveling at the audacity of the two guys; in fact, I was so shocked, I had to laugh. I decided to shift my negotiations to a higher level, so I called the Landlord of the house (my Dad) and I explained everything to him because I knew he was bound to know someone higher up in the PHCN office. He promptly called the Manager of the place and told her the situation, and then he asked me to go back to the office and speak to the lady in charge.

I went there boldly, under the illusion that a management level staff would handle everything with dispatch without demanding any gratification, after all it was their mistake not mine.  I met the lady and she mouthed the same unreasonable explanation about my neighbour’s indebtedness (whatever happened to confidentiality?) albeit with a caveat “If I had known it was Lawyer’s house, I wouldn’t have disconnected it”. She assured me that she would sort it out; she even graciously offered to ‘help’ me get some wire so that I wouldn’t have to pay for it. She then lowered her voice and said to me conspiratorially “you’ll have to give N2000 to the boys, you know they are not supposed to be at work, I’m just going to appeal to them on your behalf” For some reason, I felt embarrassed for her, I felt ashamed of what we had become as a people but I gave her the N2000 even though I didn’t see the ‘boys’ she was referring to. As if that was not bad enough, she also informed me that I’d have to pay the person she would assign to the job as it would take up a lot of his time. I wanted to ask what the N2000 I had just given to her was for but I was too tired, too disillusioned and even too embarrassed to ask so I kept quiet and nodded.

In the end, the electrician did come and he also promptly announced to me that it was going to be a ‘difficult’ task so… I understood and I just nodded wearily because I knew that there was no reasoning with greed and corruption.

My electricity was eventually reconnected and I paid even though I shouldn’t have but it was either that or live without electricity indefinitely. I had plans to meet with a friend on Saturday but I didn’t get to go because I was dealing with PHCN. To crown what I choose to call a ‘wonderful’ day, as soon as the power was restored, I switched on the pumping machine (only Nigerians will get this) and you know what? The pumping machine was instantly destroyed by a power surge.  I had to take the day off work on Monday to sort this out…




No comments:

Post a Comment